Friday, December 21, 2012

The World Didn't End Today

So I guess we'll just have to go on repenting.

I remember a story someone once told me of a very old monk who was very close to death.  He was pleading with doctors and his visitors that if there was some way to avoid death, he would take it.  It wasn't that he feared death; he just knew and believed that he had not even begun to repent. 

Why does it always take some false prophecy about the world ending from some nutcase or nutcases to remind me that I have not even begun to repent?

My soul, my soul - arise!
Why are you sleeping?
The end is drawing near,
And you will be confounded.
Awake then, and be watchful,
That Christ our God may spare you,
Who is everywhere present and fills all things.--
Kontakion of the Great Canon of St. Andrew of Crete, plagal tone 2

No comments:

Post a Comment